Executive Group Regulatory Affairs
Group Legal and Regulatory
The Executive Regulatory Affairs will be responsible for:
Supporting and acting as deputy to the Group Chief Legal & Regulatory Affairs Officer in managing the Regulatory requirements, Regulatory risks, and initiatives within the MTN Group and implementing the Group Legal & Regulatory strategy in line with MTN Ambition 2025.
Generally manage and provide guidance, advice and support on all operational aspects of the Group Legal & Regulatory Function where required and Regulatory aspects of transactions, regulatory risks and other regulatory matters relevant to the MTN Group, including but not limited to strategic projects of MTN Group and/or Group Legal & Regulatory areas of specialisation and/or strategic focus including key commercial transactions, Fintech, Digital Services, Intellectual Property, Tax, Finance and Treasury Support, Competition and anti-trust Law, Data Privacy, Protection & Cybersecurity Procurement, Enterprise Business Unit, Consumer, Technology & information, and commercial operations.
Provide advisory support in respect of any risk escalations generally that require regulatory input and crisis management, as well as proactive regulatory risk remediation/mitigation/Management. The Regulatory Affairs Executive will, from time to time, be required to provide oversight support and guidance in respect of regulatory matters. As well as guidance in respect of Mergers & Acquisitions/Divestures and Investments, and Joint Ventures in as far as the regulatory aspects are concerned and most importantly provide leadership to encourage and inspire high performance in the team.
Policy Development – Define MTN’s position and develop policies & execute advocacy strategies on key regulatory/legislative developments including regulations and circulars.
Proactive stakeholder management – to keep stakeholders (internal & external) informed of regulatory developments and provide continued strategic guidance in the organisation and engagement with relevant external regulatory bodies and ensure continued industry participation.
Regulatory Operations and Governance:
Supporting the Operating Companies and Group to manage and resolve regulatory issues and concerns and drive first line compliance and governance.
Regulatory Strategy and Public Policy
Proactively manage public policy, legislative and regulatory issues that may impact MTN Group and all its operations
Insights and Analytics
Monitor, track and analyse economic, public policy, legislative and regulatory trends to provide insights to support regulatory risk management
Develop and implement robust technical regulation strategy, policy and framework aligned with all government and regulatory directives
MTN is entering a new phase in its lifecycle where operational and commercial excellence has become critical for success. The urgency for change has become more heightened amidst increased competitive intensity across all markets in which MTN operates. The Group’s Commercial Legal and Regulatory function must therefore ensure the successful delivery in context of:
- Rapidly changing ICT environment
- The geographic complexity of MTN’s footprint across Africa and the Middle East
- Management of executive and local shareholder expectations across all OpCos
- Achievement of top quartile operating efficiency and effectiveness through scale and common processes
- Driving growth through business intelligence and standardization to maximize business impact
- Management of customer and supplier expectations
- Enhance MTN position as a leading network and system provider
- Constant dynamics and local challenges in the economic, regulatory and legal environments
The Executive: Regulatory Affairs will have the following responsibilities:
– Support the Group Chief Legal & Regulatory Affairs Officer in implementing and managing the Group Legal & Regulatory function and activities in relation to MTN Strategic Initiatives and strategic projects and generally act as deputy to the Group Chief Legal & Regulatory Affairs Officer.
- Provide regulatory advice (in relation to competition & anti-trust law, Public Policy advocacy, technical regulation to mention but a few), guidance and support on regulatory aspects of transactions & risks and other regulatory matters relevant to the MTN Group, including but not limited to strategic projects of MTN Group, areas of specialisation and/or strategic focus including key commercial transactions, Fintech, Digital Services, Intellectual Property, Tax, Finance and Treasury Support, Competition Law, Data, Procurement, Enterprise Business Unit, Consumer, Technology & information, and commercial operations;
- Provide advisory support in respect of any risk escalations generally that require regulatory input and crisis management, as well as risk remediation/mitigation;
– from time to time, be required to provide oversight support and guidance in respect of Litigation arising from regulatory issues including dispute resolution and arbitration of the same.
– from time to time, provide oversight, support and guidance in respect of Mergers & Acquisitions / Divestures and Investments, and Joint Ventures;
- Manage and supervise a diverse regulatory team in the Group Legal & Regulatory function with primary oversight of the team involved in advising on Fintech, Digital Services, Data, Enterprise Business Unit, and Technology, Public Policy, Technical regulation, general regulatory affairs & regulatory Insights and reporting.
- As a leader in the Group Legal & Regulatory Function, conduct regulatory meetings (for example, at MANCO or regional legal team meetings) in the absence of or as requested by the Group Chief Legal & Regulatory Affairs Officer, guide teams in respect of strategic deliverables and coaching teams/ individuals to achieve higher levels of performance;
- Provide support, guidance and advice to MTN Operating Companies* and OPCO regulatory teams, where requested or required, regarding regulatory aspects of transactions, risks and other matters and initiatives requiring regulatory intervention or support;
- Monitor/oversee or lead (as applicable) strategic projects undertaken by Group Legal & Regulatory, or the regulatory aspects of or inputs into Group Projects, including the performance and deliverables of representatives of Group Legal & Regulatory function participating, contributing or leading such projects.
- Support in management and mitigation of Regulatory, Public Policy, competition & anti-trust law risks;
- Support in the development and monitoring of Key Performance Indicators and Key Regulatory Risks Indicators of members of the Group Legal team and Operating Companies regulatory teams;
- Law Degree with Honours (LLB or relevant field)
- Fluent in English
- 12 – 15 years’ experience Technical and Operations experience, in telecommunications, banking or related industry (i.e. similar socio-economic and security features dealing with regulation, government/public sector relationship building, etc.)
- Experience of senior leadership and management in a matrix organisation working with specialised experts. Significant experience and track record of managing strategic outreach with a diverse set of stakeholders (including regulators and industry bodies).
- Experience in Research and analysis – legislative review & analysis, policy development and regulatory advocacy, stakeholder engagement (regulators, ministries and industry body engagement).
- Experience in Regulatory Risk Management – Regulatory forecasting and Identifying policy, legislative and regulatory issues that may impact MTN and its operations
- Experience managing and negotiating complex or sophisticated regulatory aspects of commercial transactions, including transactions involving multiple jurisdictions.
- Experience working with and managing multiple stakeholders, including advising and liaison with executive leadership, leadership and governance committees, board representatives and committees, and shareholders.
- Experience working in, or advising, entities operating in the telecommunications industry (an advantage)
- Work across diverse cultures and geographies
- Experience advising on matters, transactions and regulatory issues relating to digital services and digital products, including new media, VAS, video, music, gaming, advertising, and instant messaging.
- Experience advising on matters, transactions and regulatory issues relating to mobile financial services, banking, digital payments and fintech
- Experience advising on Mergers & Acquisitions / Divestures and Investments, and Joint Ventures.
- Experience in policy development and advocacy
- Understanding of, and familiarity with:digital services and digital products, including new media, VAS, video, music, gaming, and advertising regulatory and compliance requirements and principles impacting, or relevant to, new media, video, music, gaming and advertising
– regulatory and compliance requirements and principles impacting, or relevant to, mobile financial services, banking, digital payments and fintech
– intellectual property laws, data protection laws and anti-trust (competition) laws
- Knowledge of the Telecoms industry and practices (an advantage)
- Knowledge and familiarity with procurement processes in large organisations (an advantage)
- Strategy Formulator, Decisive Problem Solver, Innovative Value Creator
- Culture and Change Champion, Inspiring People Leader, Relationship Builder
- Senior Leadership and Executive C-Suite engagement skills
- Excellent engagement skills at industry and Ministerial level
- Operationally Astute
- Excellent writing skills and articulate
- Strong Negotiation & analytical skills
- Management skills
- Leadership Skills
- Effective communication and writing skills
- Good general commercial awareness
- Good interpretation skills
- Computer literate (Microsoft Office-Suite)
- Execution driven and Results Achiever Operationally Astute
- EQ & Relationship Management
- Financial & Business Acumen
- Strong legal & regulatory understanding and analysis
- Policy development and writing
- Research capability and analysis
- Regional and international travel may be required from time to time